Summer Style: Leather Jackets

According to the Independent this year is going to be the hottest summer we of have had in years.  I find this quite ironic considering we have just come out of a rainy season, but I guess everything balances out in the end, its about time we had a long stint of good weather!

All this good news of sunshine coming our way has just got me thinking once again about my next buys for my spring summer wardrobe. I just cannot wait, I’m honestly looking forward not having to wrap up with a snood around my neck every morning. I’m done with all my ankle boots, oversized cocoon and belted coats. Roll on SUMMER you can't come quick enough!

I want a light weight coat that’s going to be versatile enough to go with the majority of my everyday looks. I’m looking for a style of jacket that will also transition well in-between seasons where I can easily add layers for when the weather turns brutally cold again. I really want this piece to fit snug too, I’ve been going to the gym for weeks on end now and I want a tighter fitting style of jacket to show off my silhouette.

So I’m thinking it’s about time that I invest in a stylish leather jacket. It’s that hero piece wardrobe staple that’s in almost everybody’s wardrobe. I love a leather jacket because it’s a piece which you see in lots of different styles where you can really pin point a style pick to compliment and emphasise personal style.

Granted leather jackets are not the most ideal type of jacket to go to go for on a scorching hot summer’s day but in the UK how many of those days do you think we will really have?

Whilst searching for leather jacket styles I found it interesting to know that leather jackets were once made for functionality where aviators of the first world war wore them.  The leather jackets then were made very bulky with shearling lining to protect the wearer against all the flying elements.

Since then the leather jacket trend began to emerge where American's rebels of the 1950’s were trend setters of the leather jacket, they wore the statement jacket to symbolise their without law like attitude. By the 1960 the leather jacket had reached a commercial altitude YSL was the first designer to send the leather jacket down the runway.

In an ideal world it’s probably wise to invest in a real leather jacket because faux ones tend to lose their authenticity of a leather look quite quickly. This investment however does very much depend on your bank balance and if you go for a designer leather piece just expect to see a price tag that reads extortionate.


I’ve searched all the top designer and high-street e-commerce collections to bring you my top 10 leather jacket edit of the season…

One: Net-a-porter-£1,500

Two: Givenchy-£5,400

Three: Acne-£1,150

Four: Fausto Puglisi-£10,500


Five: Iro-£930

Six: Nelly-£164


Seven: Whistles-£350
Eight: Joseph-£1,900
Nine: Asos-£240


Ten: Warehouse-£111










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author