We’re well into November now, and there’s no putting it off any longer: it’s time to start investing in cosy accessories. Think of them as an easy way to refresh that winter coat that you’re already bored of – mixing and matching hats and scarves can breathe fresh life into the outerwear that you have to pull on every day, and add a punch of colour if you opted for a coat in classic black, navy or grey. I’ve chosen my twelve favourite pieces, for a stylish collision of fashion and warmth!
1 & 2. If you didn’t commit to a Brian Lichtenberg t-shirt, then his beanies are an alternative way to tap into his tongue-in-cheek humour. His riffs on Celine, Hermés and Saint Laurent look just as good across your forehead as they ever did on tees and sweatshirts.
3. This pork pie hat from Topshop is as cute as a button, and it comes in a ton of different colours. Use it to add a jaunty twist to androgynous overcoats, and protect your hair on windier days.
4. There are hundreds of cute bobble hats out there, but this sunshine-yellow version from White Stuff is my favourite. If it’s bright colour doesn’t inspire a few smiles, then maybe the crocheted pattern will – even on a bleak January morning it’s a happy reminder of summer. The furry bobble is very nice, too.
5. This is the perfect scarf to layer with an old school biker jacket, from Mint Velvet. The waterfall shape comes in a supersoft, lightweight wool, while the faux fur trim is incredibly fluffy.
6. Master irreverent winter dressing with this brick print scarf from Marc by Marc Jacobs, available at Selfridges now. The closer you look, the more you notice the hidden bunnies and iconic logo - and because it’s monochrome, it’ll work with coats in any colour.
7. Plaid is back in a big way right now, and Topshop’s checked scarf is one of the best ways to channel it. The combination of lilac and blue, shot through with a skinny stripe of orange, is a more interesting alternative to the classic tartans – there’s something very nineties about it, without going too grungy.
8. Thanks entirely to Burberry, heart prints are in vogue right now. Follow Victoria Beckham’s lead with this scarf from Oasis, which will look great tucked into a trench coat.
9. Madeleine Thompson’s neon pink beanie is cut from sumptuous cashmere, and available exclusively from Net-a-Porter. It’ll brighten up everything from leather jackets to grey cocoon coats.
10. The fedora hat is the accessory of the season – just ask Alexa Chung and black is the obvious choice as it will go with everything. But this pale green one from Marie Mercié makes much more of a statement. With a wide grosgrain ribbon, it’s a slightly more feminine take on the trend. And will really compliment a fluffy grey coat.
11. Markus Lupfer’s known for his knitwear, especially his oversized sweaters emblazoned with sequinned lips. But this year he’s introduced this tiara hat, available in black, red, purple and white, for a quirky dose of his signature style.